Thursday, August 12, 2010

Clergy Burnout -- Hypertension -- Expectations

The New York Times building in New York, NY ac...Image via WikipediaThere's been a lot of talk, lately about the New York Times piece about clergy burnout.  It turns out that researchers and doctors (and clergy) are finding greater instances of depression and hypertension and generally poor health.  I know to some laypersons this may be a "calling from God" but seems like a very easy job.  After all, some assume, we only work a few hours a week.  But, those in the know or those who really know some clergy can tell you that there is a lot more entailed in this job of ours and many of us are happy to complain about it or brag about it if given the chance.

There are a lot of expectations from churches to "be there" for everything...everywhere...and to be on every committee.  (I've been more blessed than some of my colleagues because Girdwood Chapel has allowed me to be pretty flexible in my schedule and, frankly, there aren't that many committees to be on!)  And, more, there is a certain amount of emotional weight taken on as we deal with the joys and burdens of those around us.

But, I still have hypertension.  It's not "real" bad but I guess it could be if I don't start paying more attention to some things.  You know, little things like diet, exercise, and stress relief.

One of the problems with serving at Girdwood Chapel has been a lack of an "office" space.  Working from home I have a hard time separating work from...well...non-work.  Family lines and church lines blur a lot. Some of that is to be expected from being a pastor.  I think most clergy have some issues here.  But, other times I just have trouble feeling like I give both family AND work what they deserve.

I think there are some expectations Girdwood Chapel and I have to have with each other as we move forward.  I think they should expect that I'll lead by example...working hard to find "Sabbath Rest" in a work week that blurs with my home life.  I think they should expect that I'll be getting some exercise, taking care of myself.  After all, this is a community that prides itself on their activity in the great outdoors.  I think they should expect that I'll have some sort of devotional life--not just because it helps me grow closer to God, but because it's a healthy thing to do as well.  We are after all, talking about physical health here.

And, I should have some expectations of the church.  I think, first and foremost, I should expect that the persons who are coming here are looking not just for what they can get out of it, but what they can put into it ("Ask not what your church can do for you...but what you can do for your church.")  Sometimes, clergy can get the sense that "it's all up to them."  And I confess that thought crosses my mind at time...even if I know it's not true.  What may be up to me is making sure we have the systems in place to train persons to take that kind of leadership so, really, it's not all up to the pastor.

A commenter over at Think Christian said something that I thought was very appropriate as I was thinking about this post:
Part of the difficulty here is that pastoral work is notoriously border-free and pastors themselves are incredibly diverse in terms of interests, gifts, focus, etc. Churches and their traditions also vary widely in ways that impact this area.
For me a big help has been to continue to work on sharpening my focus of what the gospel is and how it connects with the rest of life. I believe a pastor has an area of unique ownership in the broader labor economy of the church and it is not always easy to articulate it and defend its boundaries. I find Eugene Peterson very helpful on these matters.
So, how can I work on articulating the boundaries and expectations?

How can I ensure that, in my flexible days I regimented in devotions and exercise?

How can I work to train up leaders in the church?

All good questions.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment