Monday, July 19, 2010

Holy Adventures -- How Can I Look At Vacation Differently?

Henry Moore, Reclining Figure, 1951, Fitzwilli...Image via Wikipedia
Here I am in Indiana.  I sit at my laptop which I've plugged into my mother-in-law's DSL line.  Two kids are watching TV.  One just got up (at 11 AM).  And the two little ones are having fun looking at pictures with their grandma.  The sun is out. It's hot. And I hope to get to a coffee shop a little later to get my latte and coffee shop fix.

So, how can I use this time, this place, this vacation as a holy time?  How can I look at each day a little differently and look at the time I'm able to spend with my family (while not worrying about our building process at Girdwood Chapel) as as renewing time?

I read a post by Bruce G. Epperly over at Patheos that has me thinking this morning.  Epperly posits that life is an adventure and every day is a new opportunity for creative thinking and we don't have to be determined by all that has happened in the past.  We also don't have to be determined by some plan of action that seeks to map out our future with no wanderings from the selected path.  But summer vacation, with its lazier days and more family time allows us the opportunity to live our lives as an adventure.  And, maybe, this can be a holy adventure for me...even if in small ways.

Epperly gives some guidance:

Well, how do we live out a holy adventure this summer in our daily lives – even if it’s only a wee adventure?  First, it’s about attitude – open your heart and mind to new possibilities, and be willing to say “yes” rather than “no” to something unexpected.  Second, look for possibility and growth in unexpected and challenging situations: often our attitude toward challenges makes the difference between health and illness, and joy and sorrow.   Assume challenges will happen, assume that “stuff happens,” but that in the limitations, there are also possibilities for growth and creativity.  Third, think outside the box – do you typically explore new ideas or simply live with the routine without considering change?  What new ideas can you first entertain and then, whether you dive in head-first or dip your toe in the water tentatively, begin to embody in your daily life?  Many people, and I am one of them, believe that imagination is one of the virtues we share with God, in fact, loving and creative imagination may be what’s most special about us as humans, the “image of God,” that makes us unique.

Fourth, go with the flow of life – the Taoists have it right.  Oftentimes when we resist novelty, we resist the energies that give birth to life and which bring health and wholeness in our lives.  Fifth, live with the beginner’s mind: see the world as if for the first time….in fact, you are always seeing life for the first time, since each moment is unique and new.  Sixth, trust that God is the source of adventure in our lives – pause and notice, and prayerfully let yourself be stretched by the divine adventures living in and through you.

And, as I sit here...at my laptop...hooked up the internet...and look outside.  I'm wondering what adventure there might be today.

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment