Saturday, July 17, 2010

Indiana is Flat

I understand that there are "rolling hills" in the southern part of the state...and it's really quite pretty.  However, the northern half is flat.   Now, there are some benefits to the flatness of the land:

  1. You can see for great stretches in all direction.

  2. Many of the roads are straight as there are fewer (none) mountains to go around.

  3. I imagine it's easier to ride a bike (although you don't have the benefit of going downhill.

  4. "Sunrise" is when the sun actually rises and not when it gets over the mountains.

  5. Better cell phone reception

  6. No pesky mountains around for those who feel claustrophobic when surrounded by glorious hills.
This "flatness" does not come as a surprise to me, since I lived in Indiana for nine years, graduating high school here and going to college here and serving a my first church here.  However, I've now lived in Alaska for 13 years and I've grown very accustomed to the mountains around me.  I find that they are good for the soul and I think I'd have a hard time adjusting to life without them again.

I can't verify this, and I don't feel like looking it up, but I think there was once a study about persons living among the mountains.  If I remember correctly, it showed that living among the mountains was good for the psyche.  Regardless of whether this has been scientifically prove, I can attest that it's good for my psyche.

Now, don't get me wrong.  There is definitely a beauty to Indiana.  It's very green. It's nice seeing the corn growing in the fields.  You can see a whole lot of sky.  There are some great lawns.  There are a lot of people here who love me and whom I love as well.

But I might have mentioned, Indiana is flat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment